Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spontaneous Combustion Squat "Mythology"



Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, I just couldn't get my knees to Spontaneously Combust. I tried 315lbs, 365lbs, 405lbs all with a 3 second pause at the bottom (not intentional, just waiting for my camera's Auto Timer to take a snap shot). Then I tried adding 100lbs of chains, then 225 for 15 reps...DAMN NOTHING WORKED!! I know, next time I'll try doing Pulsing Split Lunges with my front foot on one BOSU and my back foot on another BOSU....That ought to do it...OR I got it... Split Squat Jumps from one BOSU to another...Now that's SEXY!! I could try loading up the Leg Press and try to get my knees to touch my chest with my Lumbar Spine curled up like a scared cat....OR that Leg Extension machine that starts at 110 degrees knee flexion, that would definitely do it!

Sorry, I have bit my lip for too long, received TOO many "gas face" looks from other trainers (some wearing denim blue jeans, some wielding swords) who load up the Squat Bar (if they squat at all) and go down to 70 degrees flexion... I have been Personal Training since 1992, and have had AFAA, ACSM-HFI, NASM-PES and NSCA-CSCS Certifications, and in my personal experience as well as with many of my clients, I have been able to sort through much misinformation as well as learn a significant amount from each. Yes, each organization does bring some very good valid points and guidelines into the Fitness Industry BUT, some also bring bogus, unsubstantiated, unfounded myths, most notably Squat Depth.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH FULL SQUATS!!! Once and for all!! I'm trying to prove a point. If you look at my Squat Pics, the proof is in the pudding. At the bottom end of the Squat I am below 90 degrees flexion in the knee joint. If you were to draw a "plum line" from the distal end of the bar straight down to the floor and look where the weight on my back is, relative to where my joints are lined up, you would notice that my Tibialis Anterior and Posterior at the lower leg, Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads that crossover my Knee and Hip Joints, as well as my Obliques, Hip Flexors, Abdominals and Spinal Erectors are all in optimal biomechanical positions to stabilize unwanted forces AND produce enough force to get out of the bottom of the Squat. WOW... a long but necessary explanation.

Until yesterday, I had not Squatted over 255 in about a month and a half and when I woke up this morning, what was the sore?? MY HAMSTRINGS, GLUTES AND OBLIQUES!!! Why? Because they were doing what they are "Functionally" supposed to do, check anterior tibial translation at the knee joint (Hamstrings), and stabilize the "Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip Complex" (Hip Flexors, Glutes, Obliques, Quadratus Lumborum, Spinal Erectors, and Lats, etc). But wait... I thought squatting below parallel was bad for the knees and back... As I've been told by many organizations, and Orthopedic Doctors. Maybe they have that misconception because THEY ARE TOO WEAK AT THE BOTTOM OF A SQUAT and lack the necessary strength AND Flexibility (if they Squat at all) to stabilize the Knee, Hip and Low Back. I think the latter is more likely!!

Yes, if you have tight Glutes, Hamstrings, calves, etc. getting into the bottom of a squat would be challenging BUT, THAT DOESN'T MEAN DON'T DO IT!!! To me it says you need to gain the flexibility in that ROM. Lets say you are a Skier who LOVES to hit a couple jumps here and there, lets say you do squat, and when you do, you intentionally do not go below parallel.... what happens when you forcefully land after jumping and hit the ground SO hard that you go below 90 degrees in the knee? I would say that there is a good chance either you rupture a Patella Tendon, ACL or PCL.... However, if you typically do Squat below 90 degrees with good control then there is less of a chance of injury because your knee has been there before and has the strength and flexibility to come out of the hard landing without injury.

Absolutely preposterous the whole Squat Depth Mythology is...Full Squats are safer for your knee very simply because there is much greater CO-contraction of Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads, Obliques, Hip Flexors, Abs and Spinal Erectors. Oh and by the way, I have a torn ACL, Meniscus, and Osteoarthritis from 2 ACL reconstructions, and many subluxations, so why should I not do Full Squats??? I NEED TO, So that my muscles can collectively, and functionally stabilize my Knee and "Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip Complex".

I am not advocating loading up a bar with maximal weight and seeing if a client gets crushed or can maintain mid-line stability performing a full squat. I am, however, suggesting to start with Body Weight Squats and progress to a bar, then adding weight accordingly with the ultimate goal of being able to Squat past parallel, provided there is no contraindicated Knee or Back issues that would prevent someone from doing so. The Body is a very adaptable organism, do nothing or do things incompletely and that's what you will yield. Train it correctly and you will function at an optimal level of performance and reduce injury.